Tag Archive: Texas
The campaign for Texas to secede from the union has collected roughly 90,000 signatures so far, well more than the 25,000 required for a response from the Obama administration as part of the Obama administration’s We the People program.
The average person who’s signed the petition is a far right-wing conservative who wants to live in a country that’s pro-business and Christian, hostile towards homosexuals and immigrants, with low federal income taxes and no provisions for mandatory health insurance.
That sounds a lot like another place with big open spaces and lots of oil and natural gas: Russia! Since a state cannot unilaterally secede from the union — remember the Civil War — maybe these Texans should consider moving to Russia. Their fellow Texans would probably be happy to see these extreme right-wingers go.
Texas can, however, divide itself into five different states, as stipulated in the 1845 Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas. Maybe the Valley and the state’s large metro areas should declare their independence from Texas.
The ruling by a three-judge panel Tuesday could clear the way for elections, if none of the nine groups contesting the state’s political districts files an appeal.
- Supreme Court Sends Redistricting Case Back to Texas (legaltimes.typepad.com)
- Minority Groups Call April 3 Primary Unrealistic (dfw.cbslocal.com)
- Justices to hear appeal over Texas redistricting map (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Court Panel Is Selected To Review Redistricting (query.nytimes.com)
- Texas asks high court to temporarily block redistricting map (cnn.com)
- Supreme Court Stays New Texas Congressional Map Pending Review (thinkprogress.org)
- Texas asks high court to temporarily block redistricting map (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Texas asks Supreme Court to halt redistricting (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Mo. Supreme Court to examine state House map (mysanantonio.com)
- Court May Decide If April Texas Primary Is Possible (dfw.cbslocal.com)
Conservative media, led by Fox News, have struggled to get on the same page regarding the number of jobs that could be created by TransCanada Corporation‘s proposed Keystone XL pipeline. Their figures rely on industry-funded studies, and at times even overstate those estimates. While the pipeline would provide some temporary construction jobs, it would not have a significant or lasting impact on employment in the U.S.
- Victory! Obama rejects permit for Keystone XL pipeline. (magpiegazette.wordpress.com)
- Keystone XL Pipeline – Just the Facts (continuumfi.wordpress.com)
- President Nixes Keystone XL Pipeline!!! (greengaywarrior.wordpress.com)
- The Keystone XL Pipeline And Internet Blackout (krichevskysword.wordpress.com)
- President Obama Rejects Keystone XL! (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Rep. Allen West Statement Condemning State Department for Denying Keystone Pipeline Project (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Subject: Keystone XL pipeline. Who ya’ gonna’ believe: Needs of our nation, OR these lying eyes? (oforchristsakes.wordpress.com)
- Keystone XL Pipeline Would Increase Oil Prices in Midwest (desmogblog.com)
- Washington Post: Obama to Reject Keystone Oil Pipeline (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Keystone Pipeline Rejected by Obama (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)